Northwestern University (J.D., 1948; B.S., 1943)
District of Columbia
Jeremiah D. McAuliffe (1921-2012)
Family members include his wife of 63 years Doris nee Gerrity McAuliffe; children Jane (Dennis) Kearns of Austin, TX, Mary (Dennis) O’Brien of Lake Forest, IL, Jeremiah D. McAuliffe, Jr. of Pittsburgh, PA, grandson Malachy Kearns, his twin brother John (Geraldine) and deceased sister Frances (John) Manley, and numerous nieces and nephews.
Born on October 1, 1921 in Chicago, IL, Mr. McAuliffe graduated from Northwestern University in 1943 and Northwestern University School of Law in 1948. He was commissioned Ensign in the United States Navy in August 1943 and served on board USS Bates (DE68) in the North Atlantic. He served as Executive Officer on board USS PC 483 and Commanding Officer on board USS PCE 870 in the Pacific Theatre. He continued to serve in the United States Naval Reserve and retired as Commander.
After World War II, Mr. McAuliffe returned to Chicago and in 1952 began his long and impressive legal career with the law firm of Rogers & Woodson, now known as Pattishall, McAuliffe, Newbury, Hilliard & Geraldson LLP. The credo of the firm remained to strive to “make an impress on the law.” This was done through leadership in intellectual property law as trial lawyers, and through scholarship and teaching. At a time when the trademarks and unfair competition area was largely ignored, he and his fellow partners understood–from the beginning–that IP law was inherently an international practice: that trademarks had to be protected and defended around the world on a country-by-country basis. He learned to speak Spanish–spoken by more countries than any other language in the world–and travelled the world in the 1950’s to develop a network of foreign law firms that remain the backbone of Pattishall, McAuliffe’s international practice to this day. As a result of his work in Central and South America, he became one of the founding members of the Honor Asociacion Inter-Americana De La Propiedad Industrial (Inter-American Association for Protection of Industrial Property Rights) and served the organization from 1964 to 1976.
Mr. McAuliffe was professionally active in the Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriete Industrielle (AIPPI), serving as the Vice President in 1979 and as President from 1983 to 1989 (U.S. Group). He was awarded the AIPPI Award of Merit at the Centenary of AIPPI held in Vienna in 1997. He was a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and served as a Member of its Board of Directors. He was awarded the INTA Award of Merit in 1973 and went on to serve as Chairman of International Trademark Committee in 1974. He also had the honor of serving as a Member of U.S. Delegation to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) on the Role of Industrial Property System and Transfer of Technology in 1977. Locally, he served on the Chicago Bar Association’s Board of Managers from 1970 to 1972. Mr. McAuliffe’s other professional affiliations included membership in the Illinois, American and Seventh Circuit Bar Associations; Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago; and Economic Law and Legal Clubs of Chicago.
Mr. McAuliffe was a long time resident of Glencoe and active in Village affairs serving as Chairman of the General Caucus (1969-1973), member of the Glencoe Plan Commission and as Village Trustee from 1969 to 1973.